Rainbow Mitts

I ordered these beautiful rainbow rolags from Barn2Yarn which were quickly dubbed “rainbow snails” by my husband :o) ┬áThere were 11 in total, not just 4!

I like to pre-draft quite enthusiastically before I spin. This means my hands don’t have to do so much whilst I’m treadling and helps me achieve more consistent results :o)

It was really enjoyable watching the bobbin fill up with each rainbow :o) There were 11 snails in total so I put 6 on one bobbin and 5 on the other. It soon became apparent that there was more yellow than anything else in these rainbows and that getting the colours to line up wasn’t going to work!

Plying proved my suspicion and there is yellow throughout most of the yarn. I managed a fairly consistent Aran weight turning 97g into 140m.

I decided a pair of fingerless gloves would use up the yarn nicely and chose a fairly simple pattern so as not to detract from the yarn. The Eureka Valley Mitts seemed to fit the bill :o)

The pattern worked up quickly and it was lovely to see the rainbow stripes appearing as I knitted :o)

The finished gloves are super warm and snuggly :o) A little longer than I really needed, but I really like the faux cables :o)

I turned the leftover yarn into little squares using my pin loom and I was amazed by how different the yarn looks like this! :o)

Leave a Reply